Friday, March 2, 2012

The Cost of Everything

Today I drove home from my last day of my 9 to 5 job, thinking about how everything costs something.

When I was in University, I didn't like how long it would take me to get places by foot, bike or bus. I often felt like I was wasting my time, getting from place to place. Now that I have a car, and a monthly insurance payment, and a gas tank to fill every week or two, I realize that the alternative is wasteful in a different way. And it occurs to me that this is true of all expenses: in fact, it is probably true of every action we take, every single day. There is a cost associated with almost any action. I am sure there is some theory in Physics or Economics that accounts for this, but I am not a physicist or economist, so I'm just going to give you my personal take on the matter.

Everything is made of energy. Everything you do (or think, or say) uses your body's energy. This is why you have to sleep every night. This is also why you have to eat food. And, it's why you feel like you have no energy in the winter time: all of our energy ultimately comes from the sun. Our existence is dependent on the sun, whether we like it or not. And in the winter, we see a lot less of her.

Me, driving.
Going places uses your body's energy. But if you are rich/lucky enough to live somewhere where it is an option, you can trade your time and effort in to have that energy in a different form: you can work 9 to 5, and put your energy into your job, to get money, with which you can then purchase something (a car, or a bike) that will allow you to use less energy to get where you want to go.

But in order to do this, you must be chained to a desk every day.

I used to think that having a car would give me freedom. In fact, when I mention to people that I often think of selling my car, that is the usual response I get: oh no, don't do that, you'll lose your freedom and independence! And since I still have my car, I guess that means I tend to agree with them to some extent. But here's the thing: if having a car means I have to work a job that doesn't truly make me happy, am I really that free and independent? Am I not actually even more dependent than I was before? I am dependent on my job to provide me with the money to pay my car insurance and put gas in my car. I am not free to do the things I would like to do with my time, because I am spending my time working to pay for my "freedom."

Huh?

Do you really want to be these people?
Perhaps if I was doing something that I truly loved doing, that gave me pleasure and joy and passion and emotional energy, it would be reasonable to do this. But I have not yet found a way to make a living of those things (I'm working on it!), and I don't think it is reasonable to work a job that doesn't make me happy simply for the purpose of being able to... drive around.

I have concluded that if I did not have a car, I would actually have a lot more energy. I would get more exercise getting myself places, and everyone knows that exercise gives you energy. I would be healthier. I would know the true cost (in time and energy) of getting places, so I wouldn't jam my life full of things to do, and I would have more time to stop and think, do yoga, meditate, and just be. And best of all, I wouldn't be relying on an unsustainable resource to get me from place to place at high speeds. I have a funny feeling that all of this speed is going to cost us a lot more than we realize, somewhere down the line.

My neighbourhood (sort of): Rideau Canal at night.
Walking and biking are so much more enjoyable than driving. No matter where you live, you don't truly know your neighbourhood until you have walked it. If your goal is to truly be wherever you are, travel at any speed becomes enjoyable-- an act of exploring and living within the geography you inhabit, rather than madly dashing from one location to another, "getting things done."

Similarly, I believe that if I take pleasure in growing my own food, it's silly to work a job so that I can eat. So much energy goes into producing and transporting food! This seems so wasteful to me. Why are other people working to make my food, when working to make my own is the very thing that brings me the greatest joy?

With every move I make, I want to become more connected to the earth-- and I can do so by slowing down, sowing seeds, and savouring every moment of the day. For me, this is what it truly means to be free.

2 comments:

  1. No cell phone, no car. Let's reinvigorate letter writing. Wasn't it nice to get a letter in the mail when we were younger!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was so much fun! I remember making a mailbox to go by my door so that we could send mail to each other when we were playing house. I need to take up letter-writing again!

    ReplyDelete